Looking back on her childhood and adolescence Darya Domracheva confesses to never ever thinking of becoming a huge star in sports. Being born in the family of architects in Minsk and raised in Russia where her parents moved to because of their work Dasha was an ordinary child.
The town where their family lived was a small one called Nyagan with no prospects for ambitious people. Darya took up skiing at six and it has always been her greatest passion ever since. Being an energetic child, sport has rapidly become an unlimited source of inspiration for her.
Her eyes even sparkled when she saw skies. When the biathlon school opened in her town, she grabbed the chance and attended it. During that time Dasha realized that biathlon is something she had been passionate about all her life long.
However, when her parents moved back to Minsk, Darya studied Tourism Management at the Belorussian State Economic University because there was no faculty of Sport Management at the University.
A talented girl successfully completed a thesis on advertisement in the tourism industry. However, her love for sport won.
From the early age of six Darya knew what she would want to do for the rest of her life. She started skiing in 1992 and made the switch to biathlon in 1999. Initially she represented Russia and then she accepted the offer from Belarus and became a competitor for Belarus in the end.
She has always tested her boundaries and put her strength and physical endurance to the limit.
A great number of years she has spent training hard under the strict supervision of Nikolay Zaharov and Adrian Tsybulsky who have undoubtedly contributed to her success.
- At the beginning of her career Darya took the third place in the pursuit and the fourth one in the individual events at the Junior World Championships in 2006.
- A young athlete managed to earn two silver medals in 2007 at the Junior World Championships in Italy.
- In 2008-2009 she won two third places and a second one. This period is also considered the time of her breakthrough.
- At the Winter Olympics in 2010 Dasha managed to get the bronze and two gold medals.
- Darya is now extremely famous for her winning three gold medals at the 2014 Winter Olympics in biathlon.
- After her victories she was rewarded the title “Hero of Belarus”, which is one of the greatest titles in Belarus. In addition, Darya was granted the title “Female Athlete of the Year” in 2010.
Darya leads an active social life too. She is one of the candidates to become a member of the International Olympic Committee Athletes’ Commission. Moreover, she actively takes part in charity projects that help young talented people to make their dreams come true.
Being a sociable person, Darya filmed a short movie about her squad, teammates and other competitors from 2008 till 2010.
The film provides an insight into the life of athletes, their stressful routine, rare days of relaxation and helps to get to know them closely while showing their trainings, traveling together and competitions.